Functioning in the Supernatural
Acts 2:43 Then fear came upon every soul, and many wonders and signs were done through the apostles.
Every major revival outpouring has been accompanied by supernatural manifestations. This is actually the spiritual birthright of all born-again believers. “To divorce ourselves from a rich heritage in the supernatural is to live BENEATH our inheritance.”
If we are born again, we received the SAME Holy Spirit that was poured out at Pentecost. This is the SAME Spirit that empowered Jesus to work miracles and even rise from the dead. This is the SAME Holy Spirit who resides in every believer.
Sadly, some have confused the concept of spiritual power with being “spooky”. We see what others are doing and mimic them in an effort to get something to happen because they got results when they did or said it that way! For example:
- Screaming at demons to “come out”(are demons deaf?);
- Elongating the name of JEEEEEESSSSSUUUSSSSSSS (if we spoke to our friends this way I don’t think they would hang around for long);
- Praying or prophesying in King James English with lots of “yea, my little children” and “thus saith the Lord’s” (I guess if the Old Testament prophets and Jesus and the apostles spoke KJV it must be more spiritual, right?).
I have to say, at that point it is more about “superstition” than “supernatural”.
There is a GENUINE realm of the supernatural where real ministry takes place. It’s not a matter of waiting for some new sovereign outpouring or us crying out for heaven to open. Heaven has been opened for 2,000 years. What are we going to do about it?
Let’s take one step deeper into Acts 2 and contend for everything promised—that His glory would be seen, the church would be struck again with the fear (awe) of the Lord. Psalm 40:3 many will see it and fear, and will trust in the Lord.
Here are a few thoughts to help us function in the supernatural in a more real way:
- Keep your eyes and focus on Jesus. Welcome Him and everything He brings to reveal His Kingdom on earth as it is in heaven.
- Be naturally spiritual and spiritually natural. Super-natural: His “super”, our “natural”.
- Operate in the gifts of the Spirit to benefit the recipient and to bring Glory to God – not to make a name for yourself! i.e. Would I do this if no one was here to witness it or record it for YouTube?
- Wrap the gift in love… Otherwise it is simply noisy activity.
- Remember, spiritual gifts do not always equal spiritual maturity. God once used a donkey to speak to His prophet.
- Do as the Holy Spirit instructs. Nothing more, nothing less.
- Operate in such a way that people walk away more impressed with Jesus than with you.